We Remember the Sick, We Remember the Doctors!

Translated from Polish
"Yad Vashem", Israel archival nr. 03/441

The "Selection" in Czyste Hospital, Warsaw

Testimony of Dr. Marek Balin

Hebrew | Polish

This event took place on August 15, 1942 at the Trauma Division of the Czyste Hospital of Warsaw on Laszno Street. Our division, which usually served about 200 patients, was approaching the count of 600 hospitalized patients; in addition, we were scheduled to admit even more patients from other divisions of the Czyste Hospital (as it is known after having chased us from the great hospital at Dvorska Street, the Czyste was partitioned into a number of divisions in the ghetto: on Stawki, Zelazna, Niska, Tlomackie and Leszno Street).

Beginning July, 1942, the Germans had been savage in their daily round-ups and deportations of thousands of Jews to their deaths. At the same time, they were shrinking the ghetto borders by cutting off entire streets and neighborhoods without sparing even the hospitals. Also at this time, there was a great influx of patients and personnel to our division who had escaped from constant blockades and manhunts from other branches of Czyste.

However, to our misfortune, the Germans had learned about the Jews flocking to our Trauma Center, the majority of whom were gravely ill and not only unable to work but unable to even walk. Our division mainly cared for the victims of gunshot wounds and the carnage of the Hitlerite bandits. The Nazi henchmen requested that, similar to what took place at other institutions, the hospital director reduce our hospital population to 150 patients while all the others would be deported to the East "to work". Obviously, those individuals who were able bodied immediately ran away and hid. But what to do with the ill? How could the hospital director voluntarily condemn the patients to death? How could it perform the selection and knowingly throw some people immediately into the lion's mouth - and how to protect the others? What criteria should be applied?

A depressing impotence overwhelmed the hospital staff. Everybody realized the horror of the tragic situation: Jews themselves had to condemn their brothers to death! What is more, to condemn the impaired, crippled, those unable to walk, or those to whom the slightest move would produce unbearable pain. And who had to condemn them to this horrible, inhuman death? Not only Jews versus Jews, but physicians against patients under their care, patients whose lives they had tried to prolong, to soothe their suffering, save limbs and cure minds! Patients for whom they had spent sleepless nights performing difficult, lifesaving procedures in the light of smoking carbide lamps!

I was almost petrified at the news of the patient extradition order when I thought at once about my patient, the 16 year old Chana Rosenfeld, whom I had been taking care of for the past six months. Dr. Amsterdamski, the Chief Surgeon, had assigned her to me after both of her feet had been amputated. She was the tiny "criminal" occupying the last cell, separated by iron bars and guarded around the clock by policemen. Chana's crime was that in the winter of 1942, she fled the ghetto to the "Aryan" side of the city where she was a beggar. Polish police caught her and returned her to the ghetto - to the prison. While she was in jail, Chana suffered severe frostbite of both feet. When brought to the hospital under a heavy police escort fitting for a violent criminal, she already had black, gangrenous feet and was completely emaciated. She underwent surgery. I tried to bring her back to life and nourished her the best I could. The stumps started to heal and granulate; the patient started gaining weight and a desire to live. When Chana asked for work, we tried to provide it to her: she mended, sewed, knitted and rolled bandages. The stumps continued to heal, the patient became more interested in life around her, and I had been trying to get Chana a wheelchair since she would soon be ambulatory. And now we would have to expel patients! A horrible thought dawned in my head: Maybe they will take Chana away? They will throw this little cripple into an overcrowded boxcar and deport her! Where? For what purpose? For what kind of work? Obviously she would go to her death! Therefore, they would deport all of us to death!

For a long time rumors had been spreading in the ghetto that if Jews were deported, it would only be to death, to a huge collective slaughter. Up to this time, the extermination of Jews in the ghetto (famine, typhoid, random shootings) appeared to the Germans to be too slow. Hence they decided to accelerate the process, and they would start with the weakest, the most hungry, those unable to work, and the sick. They decided to involve the Jews themselves in this criminal endeavor. They succeeded in deceiving the "Jewish Security Service" but only a few of them recognized in time the hideous plans of their masters, threw away the emblems of their "power" or accompanied their fellow-victims into the wagons.

And now these pitiless butchers gave an order to the Jewish doctors for an extradition of their patients! Our hospital had to reduce the population by 300 patients who had to be turned over to the German beast the following day. A panic grew among the hospital physicians. With utmost difficulty, the secret was kept from the patients who somehow instinctively felt the approaching danger; this day they were sadder than usual and fear shone in their eyes. From the women's cells, we could hear muffled sobbing.

The death verdict by their own physicians had to be decided the evening of this memorable day for the vast majority of the patients. Usually, the evening rounds were performed by the house doctor and some volunteers. But this time there were the chiefs of the three surgical divisions: Dr. Rothaub, Dr. Borkowski and Dr. Szenicer from my division in the absence of Dr. Amsterdamski, who had already been taken by the Germans as a hostage. This panel of three prominent physicians had to make the judgments. They had in front of them a list of patients' names. Alongside each name, a sign (+) meant deportation or death, while a sign (-) meant to remain in the hospital. The doctors stopped at each bed for a longer time than usual. They whispered quietly, with anguished voices. They debated in Latin so the patients could not guess anything or comprehend the horror of this unusual consultation.

The "Ordinators" (Division Chiefs) entered the Orthopaedic Ward crammed with emaciated bodies with rigid extremities suspended on blocks and pulley-devices. Dr. Szenicer was, with increasing frequency, holding a handkerchief in front of his face. Now he not only evaded the staring of patients but he seemed also ashamed before his colleagues. He walked through the rooms with his head lowered and the handkerchief covering part of his face. Thereafter, the "Ordinators" reached the prisoners cells. Terrified, Chana Rosenfeld seemed to have grasped the situation as she started crying spasmodically at the moment the sign (+) was being marked alongside her name. Also, the doctors used their handkerchiefs more and more often. At a certain moment, the chief of my service left the room. I have never seen him since.

The panel had not completed its work.

The next day, the Germans themselves accomplished the selection and filled up five trucks with patients. Those who managed to remain did not stay long at the Leszno Hospital because two days later, the building was completely vacated and we were all chased to the "umshlagplatz".

Dr. Marek Bailn after liberation.





הסלקציה בבית החולים בגטו וארשה


עדותו של דר' מרק בלין 1946


תרגום מפולנית והקדמה: הלינה בירנבאום




בגטו, וביתר שאת בזמן חטיפות היהודים וגירושם להשמדה לטרבלינקה, לא נהג מרק, אחי, להתוודות בפנינו על נסיונותיו היומיומיים  בהם היו אותם ימי תופת מלאים. הוא היה אז סטודנט לרפואה צעיר ועבד בבית החולים היהודי. אני הייתי ילדה וחשבתי את אחי הגדול לאדם חזק, שולט בעצמו ומחוסן להפליא נגד כל הזעזועים הגרועים ביותר שפקדו אותנו אז בזה אחר זה. ברגעים הקשים הוא היה תמיד מחייך אלי, השתדל להתבדח, מבטו, כל דמותו הקרינו כוח, חיוניות ובטחון עצמי שהרגיעו אותי וכמו הקטינו אוירת האימה סביבנו. לא פחדתי מכלום, כשמרק נמצא על ידי וכך כבר מתחילת ההפצצות הראשונות של הגרמניה על וארשה ועד לפרידתנו הפתאומית בערב לפני פרוץ המרד היהודי באפריל 1943 .


מרק ליווה אותנו לבית ברחוב מילה 3 שם נמצא המחבוא שלנו, הבונקר, ובעצמו חזר לדירה בבלוק עובדי התעשין הנאצי שולץ, ברחוב נובוליפיה 30 Nowolipie. היה אמור להביא לנו למחרת למילה את מצרכי המזון שאימא הכינה לקראת שהיה ארוכה משוערת בבונקר מתחת לפני האדמה. לא לקחנו אתנו את המזון בגלל שביום העברה למילה, נצבו בשער החומה ברחוב נובוויפיה שומרים נאצים מוכרים במיוחד באכזריותם ומרק אמר, שהוא יביא את הדברים מחר, כשיתחלף המשמר אולי לפחות רעים. אבל באותו לילה הגרמנים הקיפו את כל הגטו, התחיל המרד והחיסול הסופי - וכבר לא ניתן בכלל לצאת החוצה מבלי לההרג. כך נותקנו זה מזה.


נפגשנו בשנית רק ביוני 1945 לאחר סיום המלחמה. מרק רכב על אופניו לאוניברסיטה ורשאית ואני הלכתי ברחוב בזוג כפכפי עץ קרועים, לוועד היהודים ברבע פראגה Praga להיוודע  אם ניצל אולי מישהו מבני משפחתי או מכרינו...


רק מרק ואני שרדנו. את הזכרונות האינסופיים מהשנים ההן אני נוהגת למסור כל הזמן בכל הדרכים המתאפשרות לי – ואחי משתדל להחניקם בתוכו פנימה, כיאה לדעת רבים, לאיש חזק, היודע לשלוט בעצמו ולהסתיר את רגשותיו...


אחי גמר את לימודיו כרופא מרדים. אז, בזמן המרד והחיסול, כשהגרמנים הבעירו באש כל רחוב וכל בית בגטו, הוא הובל עם עוד יהודים לרכבת, אבל הצליח לחמוק מבעד לחלון הרכבת הדוהרת למחנה מוות. הגרמנים ירו בו מגג הקרון, אך הוא הצליח להגיע פצוע בחזרה לוארשה שם נתנה לו מסתור בביתה פולניה אחת, מכרה ותיקה של משפחתנו. אני הצלחתי בדרך נס לשרוד במחנות מיידאנק, אושוויץ-בירקנאו, מצעד המוות בינואר 1945 ועוד שני מחנות בגרמניה.


לאחרונה, במקרה מצא מרק תיאור אירוע אחד נורא בבית החולים בגטו שהוא רשם מיד אחרי המלחמה ומסר לועד היהודי בוארשה. בחלוף השנים הספיק לשכוח את שכתב. הסתבר שהועד היהודי העביר את מסמכיו ל"יד ושם". יום אחד בשנות השמונים, פרופסור צעיר מקנדה החליט לכתוב עבודת מחקר על רופאים בגטו וארשה [1]– הוא מצא ב"יד וש"ם את העדות של מרק. כמובן, הוא מצא אחר כך את מרק. כולנו נפגשנו בבית אחי בהתרגשות גדולה והעלינו זכרונות.

מרק, היחיד שנשאר לי מכל המשפחה, נפטר לצערי הגדול באוקטובר 2006. הוא השאיר אחריו אישה, שתי בנות ושבעה נכדים. יהיה זכרו ברוך!


דר' מרק בלין ז"ל


הסלקציה בבית החולים בגטו וארשה


היה זה  ב-15 לאוגוסט 1942 במחלקת הטיפולים בבית חולים צ'סטה CZYSTE שברחוב לשנוLESZNO . בית החולים הכיל בתקופת הרגילה בגטו כמאתים חולים – כעת נמצאו כאן שש מאות. בנוסף היה על המחלקה לקבל חולים ממחלקות אחרות. כידוע, לאחר הגירוש מבית החולים הגדול ברחוב דבורסקה DWORSKA "צ'סטה" פורק ופוצל לשורה של מחלקות בגטו שהתמקמו ברחובות: סטאבקי STAWKI, ŻELAZNA ז'לזנה, ניסקה, ,NISKA טלומצקי, TŁUMACKI, לשנו LESZNO .


מיולי 1942 הוציאו הגרמנים בצורה מפלצתית אלפי יהודים למוות וככל שגורשו האומללים, כך צומצמו גבולות הגטו, נותקו רחובות ואף רבעים שלמים מבלי לפסוח על בתי החולים. למחלקה שלנו הגיע זרם גדול של חולים ואנשי צוות, שהצליחו לחמוק מהמצודים הבלתי פוסקים וחטיפות חייתיות.


למרבה האסון, נודע לגרמנים שמצטופפים אצלנו יהודים רבים. הם ידעו שרובם חולים קשים ולא מסוגלים לא רק לעבוד, אלא גם ללכת. המחלקה הזאת ריכזה על פי רוב קורבנות ירי ועוד מעשי אכזריות של המרצחים הנאצים.


הגרמנים פנו להנהלת בית החולים שיפטרו ממספר אנשים כדוגמת מוסדות אחרים ויעמידו את מספרם הכללי של הנמצאים בבית החולים על מאה וחמישים נפשות, היתר יש לשלוח "מזרחה לעבודה" . כמובן, אנשים הבריאים שהיה צורך לגרשם ברחו או התחבאו במקום. אבל מה לעשות עם החולים? איך יכולה הנהלת בית החולים להסגיר מרצונה  את החולים למוות?! איך זה לערוך סלקציה ולזרוק במודע חלק מהם ללוע הזאב ועל  האחרים לשמור? באילו קריטריונים לנהוג?


יאוש השתרר בבית החולים, חוסר אונים מדכא, מחריד. כל אחד הבין את המצב הנורא: יהודים נאלצים בעצמם לבחור ולהסגיר את אחיהם למוות! ולא די בכך – עליהם להסגיר חולים ונכים שלא מסוגלים ללכת וכל תנועה גרמה להם כאב איום. ומי חייב לדון אותם למוות? הרופאים היהודים שטיפלו בהם, שהתאמצו להאריך את חייהם, להקטין את סבלם, להצילם! רופאים שלא ישנו לילות למען לטפל בחוליהם, באור חלוש של נורות קרביד הפולטות עשן ביצעו בהם נתוחים קשים, החזירו להם את החיים.


למשמע הידיעה המצמררת על הסגרת החולים, ברגע הראשון התאבנתי. מיד חשבתי על  החולה שלי בת ה-16, חנה רוזנפלד. טיפלתי בה מזה שישה חדשים. המנהל ד"ר אמסטרדאמסקי AMSTERDAMSKI העביר אותה אלי אחרי גדיעת שתי כפות רגליה. חנה הוכרזה לפושעת קטנה ושהתה בתא נפרד מאחורי סורגי ברזל, שמורה על ידי שוטרים כל הזמן, יום ולילה. הפשע שלה היה בכך שבחורף 1942 חמקה לצד הארי וקיבצה שם נדבות... היא נתפשה על ידי המשטרה הכחולה (הפולנית) ונשלחה לבית הסוהר של הגטו. בתא בית הסוהר שתי רגליה קפאו בכפור. כשהביאו אותה לבית החולים, כמובן בלווי הראוי של שלושה מרצחים גרמנים, כפות רגליה היו כבר שחורות ומאובנות. היא הייתה במצב של תשישות גמורה. היא עברה נתוח. השתדלתי להחזיר אותה לחיים, הגשתי לה אוכל ככל יכולתי. פצעיה החלו להגליד, חזרו אליה הכוח והרצון לחיות. היא ביקשה לעבוד והשתדלנו להעסיקה. היא תיקנה גרביים, תפרה, סרגה, גלגלה תחבושות. הגדמים התרפאו, היא חזרה לחיים וכבר דאגתי לה לכסא גלגלים. בקרוב עמדה לעזוב את המיטה. ולפתע – עלינו להיפטר מהחולים!


מחשבה איומה הבזיקה במוחי – אולי יקחו גם את חנה? אולי יקחו אותה?! ידחסו את הנכה השברירית לקרון מוצף באנשים וישלחו? לאן? לשם איזה מטרה?  הרי לא יתכן  שלעבודה! אז בטח למוות! זאת אומרת שאת כולם מוציאים למוות!...


כבר מזמן התלחשו אחדים בגטו שאם מגרשים את כל היהודים, פירוש הדבר השמדה המונית, שחיטה! החיסול באמצעים בהם נקטו עד עכשיו, הרעב, מחלת הטיפוס והוצאות להורג בכל הזדמנות היה איטי מדי לטעמם של הגרמנים. הם החליטו להאיץ את התהליך. התחילו  עם החלשים ביותר, המורעבים, החולים. למעשה הרצח הנפשע משכו גם חלק מהיהודים. הצליחו לטמטם את המשטרה היהודית ורק מעטים ניחשו את התוכניות הזדוניות של נותני הפקודות, זרקו את סמלי ה"שלטון" והלכו לקרונות ביחד עם הקורבנות.


עכשיו התליינים הגרמנים הוציאו פקודה רצחנית לרופאים היהודים להסגיר את החולים. בית החולים שלנו חייב להיפטר משלוש מאות נפשות ולהסגירם למפלצת הגרמנית. בהלה השתררה בין הרופאים. בקושי רב השתדלו לשמור זאת בסוד בפני החולים, אבל החולים הרגישו את הסכנה הקרבה, היו עצובים ביום זה, הפחד השתקף מעיניהם, מחדרי הנשים נשמע בכי חנוק.


באותו ערב חייב היה ליפול גזר דינם של רוב החולים – גזר דין שינתן הפעם על ידי הרופאים בעלי שם. מדי ערב היה מתקיים ביקור של רופא מקומי ומספר מתנדבים. הפעם היו אלה רופאי מחלקות: ד"ר רוטהאויב ROTHOJB, ד"ר בורובסקי BOROWSKI , וד"ר שניצר SZENICER מהמחלקה שלנו, שימש כמחליף למנהל ד"ר אמסרגאמסקי AMSTERDAMSKI שנלקח כבן ערובה על ידי הגרמנים. וועדה המורכבת משלושה אלה אמורה הייתה לשפוט. בידיהם רשימת שמות המשפחה. סימן X ליד שם משפחה פרושו גירוש, מוות – סימן של מינוס הישארות בבית החולים, כלומר חיים לעוד זמן מה...


הרופאים התעכבו ארוכות ליד כל מיטה ומיטה. התלחשו ביניהם, קולם מחרחר, בלתי אנושי, התווכחו בשפה לטינית כדי שהחולים לא יבינו ולא ינחשו את  אימת אותה התיעצות.


רופאי המחלקות נכנסו למחלקה האורטופדית. עצרו ליד אחת המיטות - גוף צנום בעל רגלים מאובנות, תלויות על בלוקים ומסילות. ד"ר שניצר השתמש במטפחתת מדי פעם תכופות יותר... עכשיו כבר השתדל להימנע לא רק מעיניי החולים, התבייש גם מחבריו. התהלך בחדרים בראש מושפל והמטפחת כיסתה כל הזמן חלק מפניו. לפתע נכנסו לתא בית הסוהר. רוזנפלד המבוהלת הבינה כפי הנראה הכל. ברגע ששמו סימן X ליד שם משפחתה התחילה לבכות נורא. גם הרופאים נשפו מדי פעם יותר למטפחות האף שלהם. ברגע מסוים עזב מנהל המחלקה שלנו את החדר לא ראיתי אותו עוד לעולם. הוועדה לא סיימה את עבודתה.


למחרת סיימו הגרמנים בעצמם את הסלקציה ומילאו חמישה קרונות- סוסים בחולים. אלה שהם החליטו להשאיר הפעם גם כן לא המשיכו לשהות הרבה זמן בבית חולים ברחוב לשנו. יומיים לאחר מכן הגרמנים רוקנו את בית החולים ושלחו את כולנו לאומשלגפלץ.


[1] Charles. G. Roland, Courage Under Siege, Starvation, Disease, and Death in the Warsaw Ghetto, New York, Oxford University Press, 1992

Dedicated to Emanuel Ringelblum (1900 – 1944),  Historian of the ghetto and creator of "Oneg Shabbat", the secret archive that collected and preserved so much from that tragic time, who would have done this history better and to the survivors. More details at: http://www.remember.org/courage/ or at  Amazon.



Selekcja w szpitalu - Dr. Marek Balin


Przedmowa, Halina Birenbaum


Marek, który w czasie okupacji był młodym studentem medycyny i pracował w szpitalu, nigdy nie zwierzał się rodzinie ze swych codziennych przeżyć, w jakie obfitowały owe okupacyjne dni.


Byłam wtedy małą dziewczynką i uważałam swego najstarszego brata za niezwykle opanowanego i odpornego na wszelkiego rodzaju wstrząsy, wzruszenia i najgorsze niespodzianki. Zawsze uśmiechał się do mnie, starał się żartować niemal w każdej sytuacji. Biła z jego całej postaci jakaś siła, chęć życia i pewność siebie, które uspakajały mnie i poniekąd zmniejszały atmosferę trwogi wiszącej nad nami, jak straszna chmura zwiastująca nieszczęście. Nie bałam się niczego, gdy znajdowałam się przy nim, i tak było już od rozpoczęcia pierwszych niemieckich nalotów na Warszawę, aż do naszego rozstania przed wybuchem powstania żydowskiego w getcie.


Marek odprowadził nas wtedy na Miłą, gdzie mieściła się nasza kryjówka, a sam wrócił do mieszkania w bloku pracowników fabryki Schultza na ul. Nowolipie 30. Miał nazajutrz przenieść nam na Miłą zapasy żywności, przygotowane na dłuższy pobyt w bunkrze podziemnym. Nie wzięliśmy ich ze sobą, gdyż była tego dnia okrutna wacha u bramy wyjściowej na Nowolipiu i Marek powiedział, że sam je przeniesie, gdy będą dyżurować mniej okrutni żandarmi i policjanci. Ale w nocy getto zostało oblężone i już nie można było wyjść na ulicę. Rozpoczęła się ostateczna likwidacja getta warszawskiego. Zostaliśmy odcięci!


Spotkaliśmy się dopiero w czerwcu 1945 roku, po wojnie, na ulicy w Warszawie, gdy Marek jechał na rowerze do uniwersytetu, a ja szłam po powrocie z obozów, w podartych sandałach do komitetu żydowskiego na Pragę, szukać czy ktoś może ocalał z krewnych...


Jedynie ja i on zostaliśmy z całej naszej rodziny oraz ze wszystkich krewnych - no i oczywiście te wszystkie wspomnienia, które ja nieustannie, niezmordowanie przekazuję rozmaitymi drogami i sposobami. On raczej starał się zdusić je w sobie, jako ten „mocny”, umiejący opanować i skryć swe uczucia. Marek, lekarz obecnie, zbiegł wtedy w biegu pociągu, ranny wrócił do Warszawy, gdzie ukryła go znajoma Polka. Ja zdołałam przetrwać w rozlicznych obozach nazistowskich.


Niedawno odnalazł Marek przypadkowo opis pewnego tragicznego zdarzenia w szpitalu, w getcie. Nie pamiętał już w ogóle, że kiedyś je zanotował i podał odrazu po wojnie do komitetu żydowskiego w Warszawie – a komitet po latach przekazał do Yad Waszem. W latach osiemdziesiątych odnalazł tą relację w Yad Waszem pewien lekarz z Kanady, który zbierał materiały do pracy naukowej o żydowskich lekarzach w warszawskim getcie. Odnalazł Marka i tak wrócił ten tekst do niego - i do mnie. Marek przetłumaczył to na angielski a ja na hebrajski i podałam obie wersje do internetu.


Selekcja w szpitalu

By Dr.  Marek Balin


Było to 15 sierpnia 1942 roku, na oddziale zabiegów szpitala „Czyste” w getcie warszawskim przy ul. Leszno. Nasz szpital, który normalnie mieścił około 200 chorych, liczył obecnie blisko 600 osób i w dodatku miał jeszcze przyjąć chorych z innych oddziałów. Jak wiadomo, po wygnaniu z olbrzymiego szpitala przy ul. Dworskiej „Czyste” zostało rozbite na szereg oddziałów w getcie, a więc na Stawkach, Żelaznej, Niskiej, Tłumackim i  Lesznie.


Od lipca 1942 roku, co dzień Niemcy wywozili tysiące Żydów na śmierć, a wraz z deportacją nieszczęśliwców stale zmniejszali granice getta, odcinali całe ulice i nawet dzielnice, nie szczędząc również szpitali. Otóż do naszego oddziału nastąpił teraz duży napływ chorych i personelu, którzy zdołali uratować się od ciągłych blokad i bestialskich łapanek.


Na nasze nieszęście Niemcy dowiedzieli się, że u nas gromadzą się Żydzi. Wiedzieli, że większość to ciężko chorzy, niezdolni do pracy, nie mogący chodzić, gdyż oddział nasz przeważnie przyjmował ofiary postrzałów. Dyrekcji szpitala nakazano, by jak w innych instytucjach, szpital zredukował do minimum chorych – do 150 osób i wysłał większą część ludzi na Wschód „do pracy”. Oczywiście zdrowi, którzy dowiedzieli się o tej redukcji, natychmiast rozbiegli się lub pochowali. Ale co robić z chorymi? Jakże dyrekcja mogła dobrowolnie wydać ich na śmierć? Jak przeprowadzić selekcję i świadomie odrazu skazać, a drugich ochronić na chwilę? Jakim kryterium należy się kierować?

W szpitalu zapanowała przytłaczająca niemoc. Wszyscy zdawali sobie sprawę ze straszliwego tragizmu sytuacji. Żydzi sami muszą wydać swych braci na śmierć! Wydać ludzi niedołężnych, ułomnych, lub takich, którym najmniejszy ruch sprawiał niesamowity ból. Nie tylko Żydzi – Żydów, ale lekarze – chorych, swoich podopiecznych – chorych, którym starali się przedłużyć życie, zmniejszyć męki, ocalić kończyny i przywrócić zmysły. Chorych - dla których nocami nie sypiali, by w blasku kopcących karbidówek dokonywać ciężkich, skomplikowanych, życiodajnych operacji.


Na wiadomość o żądania wydania chorych, w pierwszej chwili zdrętwiałem, gdyż natychmiast pomyślałem o mojej chorej, szesnastoletniej Chanie Rozenfeld. Zajmowałem się nią od sześciu miesięcy. Dyrektor Amsterdamski przydzielił mi ją zaraz po amputacji obu stop. To była mała „zbrodniarka”, leżała w ostatniej celi, oddzielonej żelaznymi kratami, pilnowana przez całą dobę przez policjantów. Jej zbrodnia polegała na tym, że zimą 1942 roku przedostała się do dzielnicy aryjskiej, gdzie żebrała o chleb. Złapali ją polscy policjanci i odstawili do więzienia w getcie. W celi więziennej obie jej stopy uległy odmrożeniu. Gdy ją odprowadzano do szpitala, oczywiście pod „godną” eskortą trzech bandytów niemieckich, miała już czarne, zdrętwiałe stopy i była całkowicie wycieńczona.


Przeszła operację. Starałem się przywrócić ją do życia, dokarmiałem jak mogłem. Kikuty poczęły ziarnkować. Zaczęła przybierać na wadze, wracała chęć do życia. Prosiła o pracę, którą staraliśmy się jej dostarczyć. Cerowała, szyła, szydełkowała i zwijała bandaże. Kikuty goiły się coraz lepiej. Dziewczyna wracała do życia i już starałem się dla niej o krzesło na kółkach, bo niebawem miała opuścić łóżko. Aż tu nagle – mieliśmy wydać chorych. Straszna myśl zaświtała mi w głowie... A może ją zabiorą? Wtłoczą tą wątłą kalekę do jakiegoś przepełnionego wagonu i wywiozą? Dokąd? Po co? Chyba nie do pracy? A więc na śmierć! A więc wszystkich wywiozą na śmierć!


Już dawno niektórzy przebąkiwali w getcie, że jeśli wywożą Żydów, to na śmierć, na wielką zbiorową rzeź. Dotychczasowe środki eksterminacji jak getto, głód, tyfus i chaotyczne rozstrzeliwania Żydów przy lada okazji, okazały się dla Niemców zbyt powolne. Udało się im otumanić żydowską policję, tylko nieliczni z pośród nich przejrzeli na czas plany rozkazodawców niemieckich, rzucając swą „władze” i idąc wraz z ofiarami do wagonów. A teraz ci bezwzględni kaci niemieccy rozkazali żydowskim lekarzom, aby wydali chorych. Szpital miał zredukować stan chorych o 300 osób, które należało nazajutrz im wydać. W szpitalu zapanowała panika wśród lekarzy. Z największym trudem utrzymywano tajemnicę przed chorymi, którzy jednak chyba instynktownie wyczuwali zbliżające się niebrzpieczeństwo, gdyż tego dnia byli smutniejsi niż zazwyczaj. Przerażenie czaiło się w ich oczach. Z kobiecych cel dochodził stłumiony płacz.


Wieczorem tego pamiętnego dnia, miał zapaść dla większości chorych wyrok śmierci, wydany prze lekarzy. Zwykle wieczorem odbywał się obchód dyżurującego lekarza i kilku wolontariuszy. Tym razem byli to ordynatorzy: dr Rothaub, dr Borkowski i dr Szenicer z naszego oddziału, pod nieobecność ordynatora Amsterdamskiego, który został wzięty przez Niemców jako zakładnik. Komisja tych znakomitych lekarzy miała sądzić. Mieli przed sobą listę z nazwiskami. Obok nazwiska znaczek - + - oznaczać miał deportację, śmierć, a znak minus pozostanie w szpitalu. Przy każdym łóżku lekarze długo przystawali. Mówili cicho, jakimś nieludzkim, chrapliwym głosem. Dyskutowali po łacinie, by chory niczego się nie domyślił i nie pojął grozy tego niesamowitego konsylium.


Ordynatorzy weszli na salę ortopedyczną. Wątłe ciała ze sztywnymi kończynami, zawieszonymi na blokach i szynach. Dr Szenicer coraz częściej korzystał ze swej chusteczki do nosa... Unikał nie tylko spojrzeń chorych, ale i kolegów się wstydził. Chodził po salach ze spuszczoną głową, a rąbek twarzy stale zasłaniała chustka. Przerażona Chana Rozenfeld musiała wszystko rozumieć, bo w chwilę po postawieniu znaczka plus obok jej nazwiska, poczęła w niesamowity sposób płakać.


Również i inni lekarze coraz częściej sięgali po swoje chusteczki. W pewnym momencie szef naszego oddziału opuścił salę. Już go nigdy więcej nie widziałem. Komisja swojej pracy nie skończyła. Nazajutrz Niemcy sami dokonali selekcji i zapełnili pięć furgonów chorymi i wywieźli. Ci, którym udało się zostać, też niedługo zabawili w szpitalu na Lesznie, gdyż w dwa dni po tym, opróżniono szpital ostatecznie i pognano nas wszystkich na Umchlagplatz.


Hebrew | Polish | English



Halina Birenbaum: Marek, My Brother


Halina Birenbaum Web Page


Page first posted in January 2003


Last updated August 3rd, 2007



My Israel

























Guest Book