Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
A small town in central Poland, north of Warsaw. The synagogue was built in the end of the 17th c. by Simcha Weiss, son of Shlomo of Luck, and was pulled down in 1880 owing to the bad state of repair.
Its dimensions: 32X30m, its height is unknown.
This was one of the most beautiful synagogues, famous for its magnificent towers, for its exterior decorations and for the delicate carvings on the cornices as well as on the windows and the doors.
The synagogue was defined as "representing an ancient Jewish architecture" by the scholar M. Bersohn.
Treblinka: The End
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003