Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Bzhozdovtse is a small village southeast of Lvov.
The Synagogue was built in the 18th Century. It included a square prayer hall and a western entrance corridor. The southern entrance was surrounded by a balcony. The women's prayer rooms, which were added on to the original structure, were located on the northern end of the ground floor and over the corridor whose entrance was by the southern staircase. According to Brayer, the prayer hall was completely painted, but only its remains were found in 1910.
He also found signs of painted figures (most likely Biblical) which were deliberately defaced. The Holy Ark was completely sculpted in wood.
The exterior walls were covered with wooden shingles.
The building's dimensions were 17 X 20 m. and 12 m. height. The date when the synagogue was burnt is unknown.
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated March 1st, 2003