Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Lutomiersk is a small town in the province of Lodz.
Jews settled in Lutomiersk at the end of the 17th c. The synagogue was built between 1763 and 1765 by Hillel Benjamin of Lasko and was destroyed during the First World War.
Its dimensions: 16 X 24.2m height: 20.7m.
External stairs led to the women's section at the west. The square men's synagogue had a barrel vaulted ceiling supported by two aisles of stylized columns.
The walls were covered with light blue painted Birch panels. A 1.4m high-carved charity box was at the doorway. It probably had been brought from an older synagogue.
A wooden charity box
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated March 1st, 2003