Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
A small town in the province of Poznan.
The first Jews settled in Kornik in the early 17th c. and were engaged in trade and in crafts. A Jewish tailor's association even existed there.
The synagogue was built in 1767 by Hillel Benjamin of Lasko and burnt by the Germans during the Second World War.
Its dimensions: l5 X l2m height: 12m.
Along the southern wall as well as in the gallery over the entrance room were the women's sections. The meeting place of the Jewish tailor's guild was in the room at the northwestern corner. The building had a restrained exterior with a roofed entrance supported by timber columns in the classical Toscan order such as were common in the neighboring manor houses. The carved Ark of the Law was older than the synagogue and was probably brought over from another synagogue. The ceiling and the walls were covered with colorful paintings.
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated March 1st, 2003