Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
This village near Kolomia, in the district of Stanislavuv, in the southeast Poland (today in Ukraine). The synagogue was built in the second part of the 18th century.
The artwork on the walls and ceiling was made in 1705. The prayer room was almost square.
From the right side of the western entrance stood a small heated room for use in the winter. Above them was the women's prayer room.
In front of the entrance was a stylized balcony. The roof was composed of four slanted sides each with a double layer. In 1903 another women's prayer room was added, and it also had with a stylized balcony.
The measurements were 15X 16.8m. The height was 9.5m. It was burnt in the First World War.
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003