Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Atown in the south of the province of Warsaw on the banks of the Pilica.
The synagogue was built somewhere between 1811-1817 and was burnt by German soldiers in September 1939.
Its size: 19X12m. Its height: 15m.
The prayer hall is almost a square and its ceiling octagonal. The whole prayer hall was covered with paintings, which included animals, symbols and also landscapes. Among those paintings were prayer verses and sayings of the old sages. On some of the paintings was the name of the contributor.
The Almemar and the Holy Ark were carved from wood. The women's section was above the entrance and external stairs led to that section.
On the sides were rooms for the use of the community.
.Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
.Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003