Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
In this little town in the province of Lvov, Jews had lived since the l5th c.
The synagogue was probably built in the first half of the l8th c.
Its dimensions: 22.5X22.5m, height: 16m.
The men's synagogue was almost square and in a lower level than the entrance room. The synagogue had three domes: one over the men's synagogue, a second - over the entrance room, and a very small one over the doorway. The women's sections were at the north and at the south of the building.
The walls were partly covered with paintings depicting mainly animals and interspersed with decorated written passages. They were painted in the years 1730-1844.
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003