Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Khodorow is a small town in the province of Lvov (Ukraine).
The synagogue was probably constructed in 1652 and was built during the Second World War.
Its dimensions: 21 .5X 19m height: 16.5m
The building was totally changed during the renovations in 1909-1910. The annexes to the men's synagogue were added in different periods. The almost square men's synagogue was at a lower level than the entrance room and was covered with a barrel vaulted ceiling.
The Almemar (Bimah) was in the center.
At the south-western corner was a winter synagogue. The women's sections were on the ground floor, south and north of the men's synagogue and in the gallery over the entrance room.
The synagogue was well known for its interior decorations, for its colorful wall-paintings and for the artistic carved doors. The ceiling was practically a carpet of paintings interspersed by biblical verses and prayers (it was reconstructed by Beth-Ha'tefusoth). The walls were covered with inscriptions of biblical verses, prayers and proverbs.
The wall paintings were done by Israel ben Mordechai Lissnitzky of Jaryczow and restored by Yehuda Leb of Jaryczow in 1714. They were restored again in 1895-1905.
The Ceiling of Khodorow Synagogue Has Reconstructed in Beth Hatefutsoth
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003