Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
A small town in the province of Berdichev in the Ukraine.
The synagogue was built in 1690 on the ruins and after an older synagogue, which had been badly damaged during the Chmielnicki revolt in 1648-1649. It was burnt by the Germans during the Second World War.
Its dimensions: 20.4X16.7m, height: 23m
The tiered roof recalls Far-Eastern structures perhaps through the Khazar influence.
The women's sections were at the northern and southern part of the ground level as well as in the gallery over the men's synagogue. In the community's book, two copper candelabra were recorded. They were three meter high and were done by the craftsman, mender of copper utensils, Baruch of Pogrebishche, who collected copper scraps over six years in order to make these candelabra.
This model was built after a drawing from 1898, before the renovations and modifications of the building.
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003