Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Asmall town in Belarus. Jews First Settled in Wolpa in the early 17th c. and were engaged in tabacco and vegetable growing, in trade and in crafts.
The synagogue was probably built in 1643 and was burnt by the Germans during the Second World War. The roof was renovated in 1798.
Its dimensions: 20 x 24.5 m height: 24 m.
This was considered one of the most magnificent synagogues in Poland. The men's synagogue had four supporting pillars in the middle and between them was the beautifully carved Almemar (Bimah) which was the work of an anonymous Jewish artist of the 17th c.
The carved Ark of the Law was also a lovely work of art. The women's sections were on both sides of the men's synagogue.
Belarus Web Site
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003