Wooden Synagogues of Poland in the 17th and 18th Century
David Dawidowicz: Synagogues in Poland and their Destruction
The models were based on the thorough and comprehensive research of the famous architects and researchers: Maria and Kazimierz Piechotka, Warszawa, Poland.
Jurborg is a town in Lithuania.
The synagogue was built in 1790 and was burnt by the Germans during the Second World War.
It was renovated and enlarged in 1870. Its dimensions are unknown.
The attic served as a hospice for the poor and the right pavilion was a second praying room with a gallery, which served as the women's section.
The Almemar (Bimah) and the Ark of the Law were carved in the style of the Rococo and were considered especially beautiful.
The model was made after a drawing by Andreioly from 1872 and after a drawing by Czerkeski from 1903.
A drawing by Andriolli - 1872
More about the Jews of Lithuania
Write in the Guest Book
Read the Guest Book
Return to Moshe Verbin: Wooden Synagogues in the 17th and 18th Century
Last Updated February 27th, 2003