We Remember Jewish Sompolno!

Transport of the Jewish Men of Sompolno.
Source: Encyclopedia of the Holocaust, Isreal Gutman, Editor in Chief, Yad Vashem & Macmillan Publishing Company, 1990.

A Message: Anyone with Jewish roots from Sompolno who identifies a human being in this picture is kindly requested to inform me: ada01@netvision.net.il

24 February 2000 -  The Names are Remembered!!!


 

A Map

The Lost Scrolls of the Law (Sefer Ha'Torah) of Sompolno in Konin Museum

A Pole from Sompolno

Genealogy

End: Chelmno Death Camp

SOMPOLNO in "Pinkas Ha'Kehilot" of Yad Vashem, first Volume: "The Communities of Lodz and its Region " page: 161, Translated by Ada Holtzman.

SOMPOLNO (Kolo Region)

The Population figures:

Year

Population

Jews

1808

777

54

1827

1752

318

1857

1601

431

1897

2848

641

1921

3747

1149

1.9.1939

(?)

1200

In the 19th century Sompolno was an urban settlement. The beginning of the Jewish life in Sompolno was in the end of the 18th century. In 1823 there were imposed restrictions on Jewish settlement in Sompolno and it was allowed only under special permits. The ban was removed in 1862, in the framework of the general dismissal of the freedom of Jewish settlement in the Kingdom of Poland.

The Jews dealt in commerce, part of who were dealers of corn and agricultural products. Starting from the middle of the 19th century, the Jews were active in the production of oil and brandy.

The independent status of the community is proven by the fact that Sompolno had its own rabbis who practiced in the small community. In the years 1905 - 1885 rabbi Abraham Icchak served as the Rabbi of Sompolno. In 1909 Rabbi Issaschar Ber Son of Yehuda Lenk was the community Rabbi. He was the author of "Pitkhei Shearim". After him came Rabbi Tzvi Meir Ber - author of "Imrei Tzvi". In the 30's years of the 20th century, Yoel Fuks served for a short time as the rabbi of the community and afterwards, Rabbi Shmuel David Laski was chosen for this position. He was the last rabbi of Sompolno and served until liquidation during the Holocaust.

Zionist circles existed in Sompolno since the beginning of the 20th century. In the end of WWI, "Agudat Eretz Israel" and "Zeirei Zion" organized in town and in 1918 both counted over 40 people. The following Zionist parties were also active between the great wars: Zionim Klaliim ("Al Hamishmar"), Poalei Zion (right) and the revisionist Movement. To the Zionist Congresses voted in Sompolno in 1933: 176, in 1937: 112 and in 1909: 109 people. Agudat Israel had a significant influence on the Community institutions. In Sompolno was also a branch of the Bund, very active among the workers and trade unions.

As the Germans marched into Sompolno in September 1939, the Jews suffered from all the persecutions known at those days: property confiscation, expropriation of apartments, movement restrictions, forced labour, wearing the yellow star on the chest, torture and humiliations. In 1940 the Jews were concentrated in special streets. Groups of men were transported to slavery forced labour camps in the region of Poznan. In the summer of 1941 the brutal abuses worsened and they were prohibited from stepping out of the Ghetto borders. In 2.2.1942 the liquidation of the Ghetto started and all the Sompolno Jewish population was transferred to the Extermination Camp Chelmno.

 

Book about Sompolno during the Holocaust was written by Yitzhak Kominkovski: "Dapei Ed Shel Sarid Ha-ayara Sompolno" "Pages of Witness of the Remnants of the Town Sompolno", Alef, Tel Aviv 1981 103 pages.

 

Return to the Communities Web Page

Return to Ada's home page