"Pinkas Hakehilot" - Encyclopedia of Jewish Communities - Poland; Vol. 4: Warsaw and District,Yad Vashem, Jerusalem 1989
Plock (Plock) (Region: Plock; Province: Warsaw).
Pages 358 - 372
Written by Abrahan Wein
Translated from the Hebrew by Morris Gradel
Devi Tuszynski: Brothers
The Refugee Remnants in Plock after its Liberation
Shortly after Plock was liberated and a few months before the end of the war (May 9th, 1945) the surviving Jews of Plock began to return to the town. Some came back from exile in the Soviet Union; others emerged from forests and bunkers; and yet others were saved by the humanitarian acts of Poles. All in all some 300 Jews assembled in Plock. This small group was active in all spheres of social and public life - until virtually no Jews were left in Plock. Already in 1945 a community committee was reestablished, as were some 20 workshops (of tailors, furriers, etc.) on a cooperative basis. In 1946 a shelter for orphans and children with one parent was opened. A people's kitchen began to serve good and kosher food to the needy for a symbolic sum. Branches of "Taz" (medical treatment) were established, as was a mother and child centre and a loan fund. The library was reopened, and with it a reading room; and a drama group and a choir began to function.
However, all attempts to revive the Jewish community in Plock were to no avail. The waves of emigration to the West, and especially to Israel, drained Plock of its Jewish remnant. There was a desire to be reunited with family and other Jews. An additional factor was the anti-semitism that emerged once more in the area and in Poland as a whole. In October 1948 there were only 100 Jews in Plock; in May 1957 there were 28 families, but these too left in the wave of immigration to Israel in 1957-58. In 1959 there remained in Plock- only 3 Jews.
Back to Plock History Page
Back to P.R.I.
Back to Ada Web Page